Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is the progression by date of the problem.

3/30 first year package with drawn wax.
5/28 last good inspection, 3 mediums 10 frame full eggs brood, etc. Strong and healthy.
6/11 plenty of bees but no eggs in any of the 3 mediums or shallow super. Bottom board (screened) 3" thick of bees. Saw virgin queen inside hive, but no eggs.
6/12 looked for virgin to remove but never saw her. Shook bees from under bottom board into boxes. Did not see queen or virgin in or under hive. Added 2 frames brood with about 30 new eggs as a test.
6/18 no eggs anywhere, 12 queen cells on two frames. Ordered A-I queen as back-up.
6/24 no eggs anywhere. All Q cells torn open from sides. Looked through hive twice with light and magnifiers, no eggs, no virgin no queen. Added new caged queen with full tube of fondant to slow release, acceptance fine by hive.
6/30 Queen released, no eggs, no queen, hive still ok but need a fix.
7/1 have replacement queen just in case, rain all day so I won't act till Thursday or Friday AM.

Any help really appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
you likly jumped the gun,
Here is what to expect when your expecting using placing the frame of larva as a graft date, I would not think about adding a queen (or overly worrying) for another week, some time nature takes its time...weather etc

View attachment Queen-Rearing-generator.xlsx

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Queenless Hive Hysteria (QHH) aka. Jumping the gun. I also suffer from it. Time and experience are the only know cures. J

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
This sounds like an expensive backup:
Ordered A-I queen as back-up.
If anything, AI queen is a good investment for new line intro as a matter of planning forward, but not an emergency, unplanned backup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gone, thanks I may have but at that point I had seen her 13 days earlier on 6/11 and thought, due to the level of inspection, she was gone. She would now be going on a month any idea when to expect to see eggs? I appreciate your help, this one has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gone, thanks I may have but at that point I had seen her 13 days earlier on 6/11 and thought, due to the level of inspection, she was gone. She would now be going on a month any idea when to expect to see eggs? I appreciate your help, this one has me scratching my head.
Based on your dates, you should expect to see eggs by this weekend. Your timeline is pretty normal, no need to panic yet :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts