Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my hive today (March 2 - sunny and 70 here in Birmingham) and the queen is laying at the very top. I've got 1 deep and 2 medium supers on right now. Everything looked great other than the fact the deep super was pretty sparse of bees - had some honey but no brood at all. She was laying a great pattern at the top. There were bees galore up top. Is it an issue that she's at the top? Do I need to try and get her to move down in the hive or will that naturally happen as the season progresses?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
What you are seeing is completely normal and predictable. If supers are left on a hive in the fall, the bees will be raising brood at the top come spring. The normal course of thing is for them to raise some brood, as that brood emerges, they store honey in the upper area of the brood nest and slowly move down until they are ready come fall to be at the bottom with honey stored above them to move up thru in the winter. Not much you can do short of finding the queen and moving her physically down into the bottom box and fencing her down with a queen excluder. This may not be a good Idea as then you have effectively split the brood nest. Best solution is to pull your dedicated honey supers (if any) in the fall or you will have the same situation every spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds normal. queens lay up. In the spring a lot (or most) of beekeepers reverse hive bodies to get the queen back to the bottom. Do not break up the brood nest. make sure all the brood stays together or it will split the bee cluster. I've been waiting for the right weather to reverse mine. I'm sure somebody who doesn't reverse hive bodies will chime in here soon but from my understanding it is generally what most do. I use 3 mediums for brood and my mentor advises doing a reversal about every 4 weeks. top goes to bottom and other two move up. Mainly for swarm control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts