Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a slow start with one of my three hives. Long story short, the hive made a new queen and she started laying in a hive with many drone cells about three weeks+ ago. There has been capped brood but not much. Last evening I inspected and again.... some new capped brood but not in a very good pattern and very little of it,.. some larvae but very little. There are still drones...lots of them in the hive. Some of the capped worker brood was also hatching. Continued inspecting...
I am new at this but I found the queen I think....long body especially rear. Not wide like drones and not small like workers. Seemed to be surrounded by attendants.
I moved some of the bees to get a better look and she flew off? I know, dumb newbee thing to do right? Is she gone for good?
If so, how the heck do I know? I want to replace her anyway. I believe I should order a new one bc it is too late to wait for the bees to replace her and I want this hive to survive winter.
How do i introduce new one if i can't find old Q who may or may not be gone?
Another option, I have a late Nuc/start hive which is doing very well now. Would i be better off Combining them? How about the queen issue again? I am just not real good at finding/identifying queens so I am afraid I'll lose both if not careful.

Oh and i got my first stings while inspecting my good hive, right through the suit on the elbow and just above the long glove extension on the forearm. Just a small amount of swelling.
I am officially initiated and I am wearing my stings wounds proudly. Guess I am not allergic.
One more thing. On a positive note, i took my first frame of honey ever off my good hive. It was capped and bulging fat. Had to crush and strain and filtered with one of those nylon bags but filled a 4 lb queenline jar with one Med.frame. Is that a lot of honey ?
Worried about the queen , laughing about the stings, thrilled about the honey all at the same time !!! I am having fun!!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Bad news...You are now hopelessly hooked. There's no treatment, no cure. You're destined to be stung for the rest of your life...

WELCOME :D :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iddee you always say the truth. I am hooked. How about that lost queen? Any advice? I am really not sure what to do next. Thanks, Jamie

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Well, it looks as though you are now officially an experienced beekeeper. Sometimes, although rarely, a queen will take flight when inspecting a comb. I'd bet she returns to the hive which means you will have to locate her if you plan on requeening.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dick, Would she return immediately? I wish she was marked so i could be sure. This seems to be the hardest part of beekeeping. Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
She probably just flew around a bit and returned to the hive if she's coming back. Some of us have had the misfortune of having queens fly off when installing package bees. Sometimes those will be found in the hive the next day when things calm down; sometimes not. So, if she flew off yesterday she'll be in the hive today if she returned, which I suspect she did. If you don't find her, give it a few more days and look for eggs. If you can't locate her and there are no new eggs after a few days, it's a good bet she's gone.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I'll look for her in a day but she is not a very active queen so it may be hard to find new eggs..
Do some queens just not lay or for some reason lay very small numbers of eggs in scattered areas?
As I have said, there is some capped brood in the hive. Is this whats referred to as a weak queen? She is a brand new hive reared queen laying since July 2nd-4th. If I can find her I'd like to replace her. Or should I be patient and wait for her to become more productive?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
She's been laying for almost 4 weeks, long enough to get into the swing of things.

If there is open cells and scattered pattern (ie not honeybound), then you should plan on re-queening soon.

There may not have been enough drones in the area, bad weather (rain, wind) etc etc and she didn't get mated well. Or a "runty" emergency queen. Who knows....

-rick

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am fairly confident the queen is back bc after 48 hours i found very small c shaped larvae and what seemed to be an egg or two right next to larvae several days old. Could the very small barely visible c shaped larvae be 48 hours old or less ? If so, I have the queen back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, i still want to replace her bc she is not a very productive queen. I am ordering a new queen now. This hive is not really doing much of anything right now

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
An upright egg hatches into a larva on the third day. Sorry, but you must wait at least 4 days before looking for eggs to confirm she is back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts