Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a problem with my plastic queen excluder, it seems to be traping my bees & killing them. does someone make a bee trap or what?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was just going to post the same thing. I have a LOT of brood in my first honey super. I pulled a bar of honey out, put the plastic queen excluder down and put the bar in a new super on top of the excluder. It didn't look like the bees were able to get through the excluder.

Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
One thing you do not want to go cheap and that is excluders, dump the plastics and get your self some good ole metal bound excluders nothing less. I my self only use them in my queen rearing ops and only use the metals.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have plastic excluders and the bees appear to have no trouble going through it. One excluder is used just as it comes. The other I put a thin frame around it.

I did have some dead bees on it last time I checked - but those were bees that got smashed by bur comb on the bottom of the super frames (some were caught half way through - could look like they died in it).

Bees may appear not able to get through but it is probably more likely they need to get used to it. I had an excluder on with a super and fed, they drew almost all the frames in 10 days. (I of course had to clear the comb of syrup so I could use it for honey).

There will be a lot of opinions not to even use excluders - you can of course try them and decide.
If a bar on the metal excluders bends, the queen will slip through... but then plastic can break and fail too.

They used to make punched zinc excluders - but I haven't seen any around.

Mike

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Drones can't fit through an excluder. If you have them trapped above it(brood or hatched) and there is not an entrance/escape above it the drones will die with their heads stuck in the excluder trying to get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts