Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple types of queen excluders for sale: one that is bare metal and thin, and another with the same metal grate, but rimmed with wood (which gives it more thickness).

Is there an issue with bee space with either of these excluders? I would think the wood rimmed one would lift the grate off the tops of the frames, which is more like an inner cover.

Any issues to keep in mind when buying an excluder?

Thanks - Steven

·
Registered
706 Posts
When I use a excluder i use metal for the reason I use my weed burner on it after I am done with it to clean off the bur comb.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I just received some from Dadant and I was impressed buy how rugged they were. While being thinner than a framed excluder, they are not flimsy.

They also look more bee-friendly than plastic.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We use the plastic ones. Much lighter, tough, and easy to clean. Just put it outside for the night (below freezing temps) flex and everything falls off. Haven't had any break yet and they are mucho cheaper then the metal ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use both. Bought them as I needed them, and got the ones on sale - some were wood, some metal.

I haven't noticed anything different between the two. However, I did like the post earlier about using fire (a pear burner) to clean the metal ones. I think I'll just get metal ones from now on just for that reason.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I like the wood bound for these reasons:

A metal one does not have a beespace above it. This could squish a queen if she is above it (which mine are often on purpose) it also leads to burr or propolis between the bottom of the frame above and the excluder.

You can always tell there is an excluder so you don't forget and leave it on over winter.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
We use the plastic ones. Much lighter, tough, and easy to clean. Just put it outside for the night (below freezing temps) flex and everything falls off. Haven't had any break yet and they are mucho cheaper then the metal ones.
And shipping is way less on the plastic ones.:doh:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we are trying the plastic ones this year also. Cost and shipping were def. cheaper when buying/shipping 100 of them. We will see how we do with the orange blossom and plastic excluders this year.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The plastic queen excluders are easier to cut down for five frame nucs compared to the metal bound or wood bound.

I have bought the heavy duty metal bound queen excluders which are about 40 to 50 % heavier.
Ernie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts