Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll purchase a queen excluder shortly. Seems that there are 3 types: Metal-framed, Wood-framed or complete plastic.
Are there any preferences? This will be for a 10-framed Lang, Medium super.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
I am a fan of the wood bound metal ones.
I like the space under and over.
Can be used for 2 queen setups as well

Never used the complete plastic so I cannot ofer any input there.

GG

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have both wood bound and metal bound excluders, and like Gray Goose I prefer the wood bound because of the bee space issues. They are less prone to bend because of less burr comb being formed.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am betting you get a lot of differing opinion here. I have used them all and my opinion has evolved greatly over the years. I originally liked the wood bound excluders for the exact reason stated above. However, I started having some rot issues. Might not be an issue in all environments. I used to hate the plastic excluders, but have grown to like them more and more. I don't have to worry about bending them. I use the metal excluders the most because I have the most of them. I like them a great deal for their durability through the years, but, like AR Beek said, you have to be very careful prying them off so that you do not bend the metal.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
fan of the plastic as I am doing a lot of nucs supered in common and need it to lay flat to keep the queen form crossing over

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Plastic QX formatted for 10-frame boxes works great on more than just 10-frame Lang boxes.
You can use them on most any N-frame equipment and non-standard equipment too (they will simply stick out, some, which is a non-issue).
When in a pinch, you can cut and fit the plastic to any custom size and shape.
This multi-use of the plastic QX is a winner for me.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I'll purchase a queen excluder shortly. Seems that there are 3 types: Metal-framed, Wood-framed or complete plastic.
Are there any preferences? This will be for a 10-framed Lang, Medium super.

Thanks
Jeff
The mann lake metal bound ones seem to work extremely well.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
fan of the plastic as I am doing a lot of nucs supered in common and need it to lay flat to keep the queen form crossing over
I discovered this as well. Using 4 frame nucs that I built myself. I am not that great of a carpenter, so the forgiving nature of the plastic QEs comes in handy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, different opinions for sure. Not unexpected of course! Thank you for all the inputs.
Now to make a decision.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Yep, different opinions for sure. Not unexpected of course! Thank you for all the inputs.
Now to make a decision.

Jeff
so try a couple of each. for some application it does not matter others you will find one is better, perhaps a mix would be more flexible.

GG

·
Registered
795 Posts
Woodbound is probably best- but can rot if not kept painted (like these for queen rearing and shaker boxes)

metalbound work great and last years. you lose the bee space however (what I use for honey production when I use excluders)

plastic- cost less, shorter shelf life, can be cut up for nucs, entrances, and specialty projects

When all said and done I think the metal last longest, so for a functioning excluder that will last longest for honey production, metal are probably best buy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to all. I've decided to try the wood-bound metal excluder ( the idea of the bee space is key). I don't have enough hives to worry about, so if they go bad in a few years, I'll replace them.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, last year a hive wouldn't move up even with spraying sugar water on the foundation. I had to remove the excluder for a few days so the queen could spread her pheromone up there. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heat gun idea is brilliant! I have tried cleaning them up with a blowtorch but did not work so great. Thank you for the suggestion, will try that.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Heat gun idea is brilliant! I have tried cleaning them up with a blowtorch but did not work so great. Thank you for the suggestion, will try that.
Seconded. I have always used a blow torch too. Heat gun makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the tip Titus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts