Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed, however, I am having no success with the search bar.
Upon last hive inspection, I found my strongest hive is really booming (to me anyway). I added the second chamber about a month ago and the queen started laying in it in addition to the original single. I have some frames that are just wood to wood brood. The top brood chamber does not meet the 80 percent rule but there is a huge populous. About 6 frames are working as of last inspection (2 days ago) I am tempted to put a honey super on. If I do, should I use a queen excluder?

Thank you,
Todd

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't use excluders, but from everything I read here it's pretty much a personal decision. Me, I don't mind the queen roaming around. If she lays in a honey super, I just swap that frame with one in the brood chamber as I use one medium and one deep for brood. However, I'm pretty sure the bees will NOT go through a QE if the super above is just foundation rather than pulled comb. From what I understand you need to at least checkerboard that new super with pulled comb to even have a chance to get them to move up. But, again, I don't use them, so hopefully you'll get some good feedback from those that do.

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Excluders often act as a barrier that stops bees from crossing to work in boxes of foundation. I would move the unfilled frames in between capped brood one at a time until they all have bees working on them. I would move a frame up into the foundation box to encourage the bees to move up. Once the bees are actively working up there and the queen is definitely downstairs, try a queen excluder if you wish and see what you find. I seldom use queen excluders but some do.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you vance,

I am definitely going to try my own experiments next year. I only have this one hive that will see a super this year and it will be my first. Hopefully, my 3 troubled hives will build this year and into next. then I will have some room for experimenting with different manipulations. I am pretty sure I am going to go without the excluder on this hive this year. thanks for your input on this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use excluders since I am using deeps for brood and mediums for honey. To allow the workers full access to the mediums without having to pass through the deeps, I slide the honey supers forward just enough to create a space for them to enter above the excluder.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I slide the honey supers forward just enough to create a space for them to enter above the excluder.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but would this encourage robbing more, or is the hive strong enough at this point to defend it successfully?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my next question for anyone who'd like to field this one. I have chosen to go with plastic foundation for the supers only. They are brand new and undrawn. no other hives with mediums to borrow from. Can I do anything to encourage them to draw the plastic frames out? I read somewhere that spraying them with sugar water?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
if you have fresh new frames, dont put them above an excluder unless there are boxes of drawn comb above as well. Drawn comb will entice the bees thru, but bare foundation or plastic, not so much.

As for wether or not to use them, highly opinionated subject. Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one. My own opinion is, we got our best honey crop when we put excluders on and supers of drawn comb above. Other than that, I have no opinion. FWIW, most of the colonies here today do not have an excluder on, because I've got boxes of new frames on that I need drawn out. When we get out of expansion mode, and aren't looking for lots of new comb, I'll use them again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my next question for anyone who'd like to field this one. I have chosen to go with plastic foundation for the supers only. They are brand new and undrawn. no other hives with mediums to borrow from. Can I do anything to encourage them to draw the plastic frames out? I read somewhere that spraying them with sugar water?
What kind of plastic foundation are you using? Just curious....I used Duragilt foundation in 2012 and 2013 and only about 60% of these frames were drawn out from end to end, some were only drawn out on one side. I will never buy Duragilt every again. I went with RiteCell foundation this year. It is too early to tell you how it is working out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We also added a super to a strong dual deep brood hive a few days ago. We did use an excluder. Is one week long enough to go back in and peek the super and if we are not seeing signs of drawn comb would you guys then remove excluder and check it in another week perhaps for comb? This question here is one I was going to ask myself, glad to see it asked, not trying to hijack the thread my question was exactly the same, to use it or not to use it :)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
We did use an excluder.
If only foundation, pull the excluder. Very likely the bees won't work the super of foundation. Get them up actively working the super before considering the use of an excluder. I use them on every production colony, but if you have only a few hives and don't mind sorting brood from honey during extraction, then don't use it. However, an added bonus of the QE is that combs stay brood-free and are much easier to protect from wax moths in the off season. This has been debated for many years and posted here MANY times, so a search here should provide many hours of reading. Also, consider reading the article provided in post #4.

BTW, I didn't get good results on a search either...not sure what might be causing the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, it's dadant frame foundation only, not drawn. New Super, etc. I did read the article that was good reading, thanks for pointing it out. We also added our 2nd brood about a month ago just like the OP did, ours is closer to 80% amazing how they doubled their size in a month from getting the hive installed. Hope to hear how it works out for Todd as well and how he decided to proceed.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,057 Posts
The Search box feature that is in the upper right of each forum page is not particularly robust, and is not the most useful tool to search Beesource.

There are two different search tools that work well, the first is the Google Custom Search on the left of Beesource homepage, here: http://www.beesource.com/
It works well if you are not searching for posts by specific members, or do not wish to limit result to certain sub-forums, or do not wish to distinguish between thread titles and thread bodies.

If you want to use the search limitations mentioned above, the Advanced Search is a good choice. http://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php?search_type=1
(If you go to Advanced Search by a method other than my link, choose the 'Single Content Type' tab, as it works better than the 'Multiple content' tab.)

For instance, by using Advanced Search with "excluder" as a search term and limiting results to just thread titles, I quickly found this relevant thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-Excluders-will-they-draw-comb-above-excluder

(note that only the Google Custom Search will find search terms of 3 letters or less. For instance, you cannot use the non-Google searches to find results involving 'DCA'. If you want to use search for that, you must spell out 'drone congregation area', but that may not help if the thread uses the acronym DCA instead.)

·
Registered
638 Posts
one solution is to NOT use an excluder until 21 days till you'd like to harvest honey. put the excluder on, wait 21 days or so and any brood in the uppers will have hatched out and hopefully had those cells filled with honey. Gotta make sure your queen is down below the excluder when you put it on tho!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
reasonably strong hive
which needs more comb
while a decent flow is on – feeding is a poor substitute at best.

You must have all 3 conditions to get plastic foundation efficiently drawn into comb – if even one is missing results will be slow and disappointing – and if you try to push it they may build wacky “snakey” comb which is at right angles to the frames. Under less than ideal conditions you are probably more likely to get comb drawn on wax foundation or on foundationless frames – however in less than ideal conditions the bees sometimes just EAT wax foundation instead of drawing comb on it.

From http://cookevillebeekeepers.com/ Just posted it today.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts