Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two 10-frame brood deeps with one empty deep on top that has a paint can feeder in it.

If the queen gets in the habit of moving up (to lay in the top brood super) do I need to worry about her continuing up into the "feed" super?

Is it worth putting my excluder on top of the top brood super? Will it hurt anything if I do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, did you mean the excluder won't be noticed? The top super in question has no frames, it's just a deep box surrounding an inverted paint can filled with syrup.
It's a first year hive, so I wasn't planning on putting any honey supers on this year. Mistake? I don't know.

I just don't want to pop by outer cover off and be surprised by the queen sittng on top of the paint can and then flying off.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
try this suggestion:
Cut a piece of plywood 16 1/4" x 20 or 21 1/2" if you use solid cleats and cut a 1 2/4" hole in the center for your feeder can. Then you can place the empty super on top as mentioned
Or, place your inner cover on top the hive and use the hole in the center for feeding the bees.
Ernie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already using the inner cover method.

All I'm asking is do I need to worry about the queen making her way up? If so, should I put the excluder in place below that iner cover? If I don't need to worry, does it hurt anything to put the excluder in place regardless?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The queen will only lay eggs in drawn comb. The queen will usually only stay where there is drawn comb. Usually, the queen will not venture above the inner cover unless there is comb to lay into (I've had a queen lay above the inner cover in burr comb, but that was unusual in my experience, and she certainly wasn't above the inner cover very long). IMO - I wouldn't bother with the excluder.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If she will go up, she will go down. It is really overprotective to treat her like she is only trying to leave. I have a daughter and granddaughter, so I am experienced. Small hive beetles have used the excluder to hide when it is against the cover or inner cover as I think you are asking. I would rather not see your hive die to SHB from being overprotective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.