Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I right in thinking these are Queen cups? If so since they are open is it true they are of no concern? I was able to locate my queen and new eggs so she is there and laying. I do have what seems like a fair amount of drone cells (a couple clusters of them on about half of the frames. I have 2 deep brood boxes with a couple empty frames left in the top, all stages of brood, and a few frames that look to me to be solid honey/nectar. I do notice some of the bottom box the brood has hatched and not filled back in so a couple of those frames are now also mostly empty as well. Thank you again for all the help!! I am so glad you have allowed me to join and take the time to answer my newbie questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Hard to tell in that jumble of drone brood. I do not think they are developing queen cells. I tend to knock them off so they dont spook me but it is a good idea to see if you can get a peak in looking for an egg or royal jelly. If nothing in them and no other obvious preps for swarming they are nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Open isn't the key point, dry makes it a queen cup and not a concern

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I will look closer to make sure they are dry next time. I thought about removing them but decided they probably know better then I do what sort of cells they need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts