Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I made a split on March 1st from a strong hive to head of swarming. Now I can't get queens that early so I did a walk away split. She started laying at the beginning of April. I've been supplementing with frames of brood from another hive. I had about 4 frames of brood. The problem is I am in a large Africanized Honey bee area. Since this queen was open mated I found her on the 19th then gave her the hive tool test and placed a new queen in a cage. I pulled the cork and placed in between two frames. I opened that Hive today (23rd) and the cage was empty and I couldn't find her..but I did find several cups that had royal jelly and larvae. Will the queen that I placed into the hive 4 days ago cause those cells to be torn down? do I need to verify my queen is there and tear all the cups down?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cliffton, if I understand your situation correctly, these larvae must be from the original queen, so they would carry any AHB genetics, and would also open-mate with drones that are likely Africanized.
That is correct the queen that I dispatched had eggs and larvae that were present The Emergency queen cells (they were on the face of the comb) would be from her.

Ok I'm in a wait and see point? I have to return to the out yard in a few days to remove the queen cage from a package I just hived today (23rd). I guess I will do an inspection on the 25th I have to show up again to fill feeders and deposit bees from a cut out scheduled on Friday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.