Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seen some of these on a frame in one of my hives. What is the significance of that. Are they supercedure cells even if they are a different shape and placement?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They're just cups guys! Bees build them all the time. At times you'll have a bunch of them. They're not supersedure cells or swarm cells unless they have a larva inside, which they usually do not have. Tear them off and the bees build them back. BTW, supersedure cells are not necessarily along the top of the frame. They can be anywhere that the bees find a suitable larva of the right age to make a new queen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Fish. That helps...and they did have larvae in them when i tore them down. Its a new package (late April) and i have been seeing eggs...one per cell?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Mike,

Sounds like your package is trying to supercede your queen. They must know something about her that you don't. I've got an overwintered nuc that I put a newly purchased queen in about 6 weeks ago. I found a capped supercedure cell in there 2 days ago. I left it in there and I'm letting them work it out. I've found removing active Queen cells is treating the symptom not the problem.

I've found that when she fails (she invariably will) I don't have the replacement queen the hive was trying to make if I keep removing the active queen cells. The I end up scrambling for a replacement queen or combining them with another hive.

no1cowboy, excellent picture...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree D coates...i figure im the stupid one in the 10,000 person packed room, counting the bees and me. No more destroying queen cups. They know what they want to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts