Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first bee package in mid March. My last 2 inspections I have noticed queen cells. Does this mean the queen that came with my package was rejected or is this normal. Also I have 10 frame brood box and the bees are only using about 6 frames. My previous inspection I added a medium box. Is this too much room for them? Thanks

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Just got my first bee package in mid March. My last 2 inspections I have noticed queen cells. Does this mean the queen that came with my package was rejected or is this normal. Also I have 10 frame brood box and the bees are only using about 6 frames. My previous inspection I added a medium box. Is this too much room for them? Thanks
Sasmojoe:

Are they true queen cells or queen cups?

I have some colonies that seem to build quite a lot of queen cups but never progress.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,274 Posts
You have too much room. Typically you do not add a second box until the first is about 80% drawn. That said, I just added a super to a nuc that was transfered to a 10 frame hive. The other five frames were old comb that was already drawn.

Queen cups are small rounded looking pots without a larva in them. Once the queen lays an egg in one, it becomes a queen cell. Cups are of no concern. If you see queen cells, do not destroy them unless you have a plan for requeening your hive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have too much room. Typically you do not add a second box until the first is about 80% drawn. That said, I just added a super to a nuc that was transfered to a 10 frame hive. The other five frames were old comb that was already drawn.

Queen cups are small rounded looking pots without a larva in them. Once the queen lays an egg in one, it becomes a queen cell. Cups are of no concern. If you see queen cells, do not destroy them unless you have a plan for requeening your hive.
Should I remove the medium box?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don’t know the difference
Here is a good basic write-up:

https://www.beepods.com/teacups-swarm-cells-supersedures-emergency-queen-cells/

As JW mentioned, if they are cups and they are dry it is likely nothing to be concerned about but might be worth keeping an eye on.

Either way, I agree with JW- don't disturb them as the bees know what they are doing. By watching the development of these cups (or lack thereof) at least you can get a glimpse into what they are thinking and be prepared for what might happen next (of anything).

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,274 Posts
Remove the medium box for now and rotate two of the undrawn frames next to the active part of the brood nest on both sides. Wait a week or two and do it again with the other undrawn frames. Wait another week or two and put the super back on. Make sure you are feeding the colony while getting the comb drawn, unless you have a strong flow going on right now. You did not include your location so we do not know if you are in the middle of your flow or just coming into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m in north Ga. , nectar flow is tulip poplar, blackberry, and clovers. I fed my bees for 6 weeks, stopped feeding mid April. Sourwood flow should start around June.
Thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts