Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two deep boxes. Did an inspection and found some swarm cells, about 5, 4 on bottom of frames. All had larvae, one recently capped,

We split the the hive as evenly as possible, making sure al least both boxes (single deeps) had a couple of queen cells, brood, eggs, and food.

Placed the hives a few feet apart. Might move then to right next to each other to get drifting foragers.

Didn't find the queen, Could have already swarmed.

Anything else we need to do? Might recombine after/if they still swarm.

Thanks,

-Steve

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think this sounds all right and it seems like a reasonable procedure, but more experienced people may have more to say.

Two things come to mind. You could have the hives face each other with the original location of the parent hive between the two new boxs--to split evenly. The bees have to decide which hive to enter. To be really thorough you could reverse their positions after 5 days or so, but I don't know if that's really a necessity.

The other thing is really knowing whether the queen is gone or not. Was she marked? If so, you are probably right. If not, I'd recommend taking another look. I'm not the only one on this forum who has screwed up their hives by not finding the queen, but she was still there.

Enjoy your new colonies!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldn't be moving colonies around when you have virgin queens in the hives. They're going to go on multiple mating flights. You might move it, she goes for her second mating flight and flies back to the old location when she returns. Just leave them till the queens are laying. The foragers have already divided themselves up by the end of the day for the most part.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you can get an experienced eye to help inspect for the queen, invite him / her over for lunch and an inspection. If she is still there after you've split them, you'll want to get those queen cells out ASAP, or you will lose ~half of one hive. If the queen cells were capped before you found them, she's probably already gone - that is about the time they stop feeding her, chase here around the hive to get her in shape for swarm flight, then take off 2 days later.

Queens are not easy to spot until you've gotten you eyes / mind adjusted, but she's usually on the open brood, if more than one frame, usually the one with the newest eggs. Upright eggs are brand new today, leaning eggs are yesterday's, parallel eggs are about to turn into grub worms (larvae). The newest frame usually has the most developed larvae / eggs in the middle, "tapering" out to brand new upright eggs outside the center of the pattern. The older frame will likely be more grubs than eggs, especially larger larvae will be present.

Queens can be spotted by their large abdomen, their often bald and slightly larger thorax, their wide-set eyes, their behavior (the big abdomen goes down in the hexagon cell, worker bees go in head-first, and by bee pattern - the attendant workers are often in an oval around her. You'll get the picture eventually by not looking at individual bees, but by picking up activity that indicates a queen and then, zoom! you eyes pick her long, often monochrome translucent brown abdomen, although sometimes you'll find her black, bright gold, or striped yellow and black.

In the mean time, while you are learning to spot her, read up on the 50 morphological differences between a queen and a worker, and think about here jobs as momma, egg-layer, communication boss, cell inspector, director of attendants. You'll probably get the hand of it a lot faster that way.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i had a similar issue yesterday. I was inspecting my best queen's hive ( 2016 queen) and found a charged queen cell.
-> i simply split the hive in half, moved on half to the other side of the apiary onto a new base and gave both halves pollen patties and sugar syrup feeders and closed them up.
Later in the day i went back and now youre looking in "smaller hives" for the queen.
She was relatively easy to find since she is marked ( throughout the course of the season while im doing other work in the yard i tend to catch and mark all of my queens).
Made sure other half had tiny larvae/eggs and good to go. Swarm thwarted and expansion done.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Two deep boxes. Did an inspection and found some swarm cells, about 5, 4 on bottom of frames. All had larvae, one recently capped,

We split the the hive as evenly as possible, making sure al least both boxes (single deeps) had a couple of queen cells, brood, eggs, and food.

Placed the hives a few feet apart. Might move then to right next to each other to get drifting foragers.

Didn't find the queen, Could have already swarmed.

Anything else we need to do? Might recombine after/if they still swarm.

Thanks,

-Steve
go back now and look again in both "smaller hives" to find the queen. You can separate her off into her own nuc and you have turned 1 hive into 3.

·
Registered
794 Posts
i have one hive no matter how long i look i can't find her and i have a pretty good eye for queens. Funny thing is she was marked and the bee's removed the mark because i did see her about a week ago. She is a dark Carniolan so she is hard to see. I have eggs and larva so i know she is in there. Driving me batty because i want to find her to do a split.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i have one hive no matter how long i look i can't find her and i have a pretty good eye for queens. Funny thing is she was marked and the bee's removed the mark because i did see her about a week ago. She is a dark Carniolan so she is hard to see. I have eggs and larva so i know she is in there. Driving me batty because i want to find her to do a split.
Separate boxes with excluders, wil limit how many boxes you have to look through. After 3-4 days, she'll be in the only box with eggs. If you still can't find her, shake bees off frames into the other boxes thru the excluder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts