Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is a queen cell? And how deep is the hole the queen grows in? Does anyone have pictures of what I'm asking so I can get a visual? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dang... I wish I had taken a picture yesterday of mine. I have 5 on one frame. They look like acorns - about as big - on the top half of the frame. I dunno, probably protruded 3/8 " off the frame.
I scraped one and it definitely had a larva in it. Some bees build them just to tear them down, or have a couple around for emergencies. Mine are, more than likely, superceding cells. The girls must not be happy with their queen for some reason.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Why did you destroy them sparks?

Supercedure cells usually mean there is something wrong with the queen. Either that or they just don't like her. Either way, supercedure cells are usually quality queens, great for making splits!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nope!! I cracked one to be sure, but left the others intact. So I'll check on 'em in a week or so and see what happened!
And I have a friend who's hive is having issues and some of queen cells may find their way over to her house!

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Queen cell length can vary. If you have really old, tough combs, sometimes the bees will draw the cell out and then down.

Normal queen cells are maybe 1-1.5 inches long, but I have seen queen cells over two inches long before.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You should be able to guess based on this pic i took a few weeks back....I have seen them much shorter and curved up into the cell very deeply.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts