Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a walkaway split on a VERY hot hive 4-16, this hive was boiling over with bees, think I need to split both again-just a thought-.Anyway, I pushed in new queen cells on 4-19. They were to hatch 4-26, checked yesterday and the cells were open, did not see queens. Question is how long before they they take their nup flight and return home and hopefully cool down these hives?

·
Registered
712 Posts
If they hatched on Monday they could be flying by Friday. But we have rain forcast friday till Tue of next week. So she probably wont go out till weather clears.

Once she begins laying it will be 3 weeks till her brood starts hatching. Current brood will be hatching for the next 3 weeks and If workers have 3 week lifespan this time of year you are looking at about 6 to 8 weeks till most bees are from new queen.

That is if new queen takes. Have you checked for queen cells? They probably started making emergency cells right after you split from larva of old queen. They would be capped and near to hatching by now. Better get them cut out or you could end up back with same old genetics.

Johnny

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were queenless for about two weeks, kept a close eye on them and did not see new cells untill yesterday on two frames. There were about eight or ten, cut out all I could see. None were open. The reason for all this is I bought four new queens from Chris McCary in Buckatana for hives before split, missed the hot hive queen , she was marked, when I checked cage new queen was out but found old queen on the third frame . Needless to say I took pleasure in pinching her royal little a--. Anyway that's the reason for the split, Hope these hives don't already have a queen, if so, it's back to square one & it's getting late.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts