Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after reversing hive bodies and adding another deep so they could have more room to expand the broodnest, they have decided to build 2 queen cells. Both are capped, in the middle of the broodnest, same frame. I guess I am going to have to split. Is that what I should do and take the frame with the queen cells on it to the split and ensuring the queen stays, or leaving the queen cells and removing the queen? I am so nervous. The broodnest consists of 2 mediums that I didn't like and I was trying to get them up in a deep so I assume I am going to have to split the mediums and since the deep on top is full of honey and pollen, add a deep to both of the mediums and split the frames of honey and pollen? Hope I make sense. Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you seen the queen? What is the situation in terms of the presence of eggs, larvae, and capped brood? If the presence of those is very low or non-existent then they are superceeding the queen. If it's a booming, crowded hive with a good pattern of eggs, larvae, and brood then it would be a swarm situation.

If you look to split a hive (an artificial swarm) to head off a potential swarm, take the queen to the new hive and let the ones left behind raise a new one. That is how they would do it themselves. And when you split, be sure to divide the resources (frames of eggs, brood, nectar, bee bread) pretty evenly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't see the queen but I rarely do. This hive is booming pretty good, not as good as the one next to it, but good. Plenty of larvae, brood cells, honey, and pollen. I have a swarm box out just in case but the more I think about it I think it is supercedure instead of swarm. There is only 2 that I saw and I looked pretty thoroughly thru the hives and frames. 1 cell is up at the top of the frame and the other one is about middle of the frame. I will check again tomorrow I think.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you split...how far would you need to move the queen and half the hive?
I have unlimited space really. That hive is on 3 acres I own but if I split I think I would bring them over to the five acres I have leased. I would probably move them a couple miles and put brush in front of their hives to make them re-orient.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been thinking. If these are supercedure cells, this is going to hurt my honey production with the flow fixing to start. Is that correct? By the time the queen hatches out gets mated there will be a time lapse? Or maybe while waiting for her to do her thing they might get busy collecting nectar? What do you think? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts