Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a frame containing queen cells with larve is placed into a hive with a queen that the workers are happy with, what would the queen and workers be expected to do? Don't ask me how this happened

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
The existing queen could tear the cells
down. Is it too late to remove the frame
with the cells????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, too late I suspect. I was concerned that it might cause them to think about swarming. I guess I should have kept that frame in the parent hive of the swarm.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>If a frame containing queen cells with larve is placed into a hive with a queen that the workers are happy with, what would the queen and workers be expected to do?

Bees pick up where someone else left off. So they may decide that building a queen cell was a bad idea and tear it down. Or they may assume someone started a supercedure and replace the current queen. Either is a possible outcome.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Michael,I have a question for you.
In the method of queen rearing you can place your cell bar on a queenright hive seperated by an excluder as a cell builder then remove it a day ahead of the hatch to your mating nuks,ok if I understand it right,what effect if any does this have on the queenright hive?
Could this have bad effects and cause the hive to swarm or supercede?
Due to the shb here in the south I will need every step of queen rearing to be done in a strong hive or face losing the whole thing.
I want to raise them for profit so letting a hive raise their own will be too time consumming for just one queen.I plan on grafting.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
"In the method of queen rearing you can place your cell bar on a queenright hive seperated by an excluder as a cell builder then remove it a day ahead of the hatch to your mating nuks,ok if I understand it right,what effect if any does this have on the queenright hive?"

It has no effect on the strong coloney. It will not cause them to swarm or supecede.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts