Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there are multiple queen cells being made to replace a missing queen (superscedure) for whatever reason and one of the queens emerge will she always tear down and kill the remainig cells?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mike is dead on. I have left a few cells..i.e. more than 1...and let them do what they do best, figure it out. So far I am 5 for 5 on them figuring it out!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i third the motion, she who hatches first wins

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Why is it different with queens from swarming? It is not uncommon to have 2 or more afterswarms. Why doesn't the first emerged queen destroy all the other queen cells in this situation?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Think about what you just said...there is a difference between supecedure and swarming...lol......i had to think about it for a minute

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In a swarming situation, the old queen has already left with the first swarm. When a queen emerges, she doesn't know if she is a supercedure queen or a swarm queen.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
good point...now that you mention it. Can i blame it on muscle relaxers? I guess i'll just speak from whats happened to me. One queen hatched and took out all the rest no matter what.....LOL...sorry

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the queen dosent "know" if she's a supercedure or swarm queen. the bees know. they follow (99% of the time) they decision made when the queen cell was built.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts