Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I know my basics, I had 5 or 6 supercedure cells in two hives. I decided to let them replace the queen so I left it alone. I noticed that many of the cells had a piece open on the bottom like a hinge. I think this means that the queen hatched.

If I'm right, how long should it take for me to start seeing eggs? Just trying to guage if I need to buy a new queen or not.

Right now I'm willing to take my chances and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yes those "hinged" hatches mean the virgins emerged, couple day to harden up, get aquainted with the house, then mating flights.. We see an avg of 10-14 days before we seen eggs. A few have been fewer, a few have been more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well queens emerge around the 16th day and they can start laying around the 28 or so day. Could be a few days before or a few days after. So like suggested above 10 to 12 days give or take. I just went through this and the queen never came back from her mating flight. So it took a long time before I had eggs again. But none the less just check them in about two weeks. Check out this page as it gives you all the numbers for bees regarding when they will emerge and start laying or foraging.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts