Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I posted about 7 capped queen cells in a queerness hive http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?300746-7-capped-queen-cells-on-a-queen-less-hive

I checked the hive today and all 7 queen cells had been destroyed, the side of each had been eaten away. The hive now has no larva and only a few caped brood. I think it may be getting robbed so I switched the entrance reducer from the 4 inch to the 1 inch.

Any ideas on why the QC's were destroyed?

This late in the season, should I just combine what is left of this hive with the stronger hive? Or re-queen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It sounds like the queen cells were destroyed by a virgin queen. First the virgin stings them, then the workers tear holes in them and remove the contents and discard it.

If I were you, I'd give the virgin more time to mate and begin laying. If you combine them prematurely with another queenright colony, the virgin may destroy that queen as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fairly new myself, but I will give my two cents. I would ask myself are any of my hives weak. If yes then I would roll them into the weak hive with a newspaper barrier. If my other hives are good then I would put a frame with eggs from another hive or get a new queen.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Joseph gave you the correct advice. Give your new virgin queen time to get mated and begin laying. I don't recall the timeline on your earlier thread but it can take a little while for the new queen to begin laying.

You have plenty of time before you should think about giving up on this hive and combining it with another hive.

I would keep an eye on the lower boxes to make sure the workers don't backfill them completely with nectar. Be prepared to shuffle frames to open a brood area for your new queen if necessary.

Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts