Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to look through my hives last night. It had been two 1/2 weeks since I last looked. At that time I added a second medium. These are newly hived packages about 6 weeks since installation.

While looking through the first hive I noticed a queen cell about 1.5 inches from the top bar in the middle of the bottom box. I only found one and it was uncapped. I was unable to find the queen, but was able to find eggs and larva in all stages.

Should I be worried about this queen cell? Should I destroy it?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a serious attempt to swarm. If it were you would expect several queen cells. You need to check the queen cell for the presence of a larvae and a good amount of royal jelly. Sometimes even the presence of an egg in the cell will not guarantee a completed queen cell. In my experience the presence of a larvae sitting on a good bed of royal jelly is a serious attempt to raise a queen. If you did destroy it and the hive was queen less or intending to swarm the presence of eggs and young brood would enable the bees to raise a new queen.
Pat

·
Registered
918 Posts
From it's position on the frame it sounds like a supersedure cell if it has a larvae in it. Perhaps your bees have detected a weakness in their current queen and have decided to replace her. I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Knowing better (thanks to others' input), I removed some queen cells in a hive. As others had warned me, if they are serious in whatever they are trying to accomplish, it is difficult to convince them to stop. Eventually, they accomplished their goal, in this case to superceedure the old queen. However, I had messed up their timing. The result was a hive with very little brood (all emerging) and a virgin queen. I succeeded only in reducing the hive's population just when they should have been at their strongest.

Listen to the bees. (And seriously consider the experiences of others

Good luck, Waya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts