Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was just doing my three week inspection on a new package, looking for the queen but did not find her. What I did find instead was a capped queen cell. The package queen had done a good job in laying and the brood pattern was quite good. I only found the one cell capped and one that was only just being built. This package was combind with a colony that had lost thier queen and had dwindled down to only a few hundred bees using the newspaper method. What do you all think is going on here? Did they lose their queen and made a new queen, did i miss her and is this a superceedure, or is this the begining of a swarm? They are in a hive with two deeps and all of it was drawn comb and plenty of honey and pollen stored.

Dale

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
Where are the cells? Up high they are probably a supercedure. Down low they are probably a swarm cell. I say probably because in an emergency they will use whatever they can get and it may be either place. It's possible the the queen was killed in the uniting. It's possible they just decided they didn't like her and superceded her. The bees crierial is more emotional than yours for choosing a queen. They need the reassurance of lots of QMP Pheromone. I would let them procede and do what they want. If you don't see a queen and they are building cells, then it's probably because they need one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh just went in and took a second look in the hive and found the queen. But there is the problem with the queen cell. The queen cell was in the upper brood chamber in the middle of a frame. The queen was also in the upper brood chamber a few frames away. I did reverse the brood chambers and install a sbb while i was there. There were a few frames in the lower chamber that were not drawn out and the upper chamber was and was totally being used. Would this be a case for a swarm building? since they had moved into the upper box with no more room to move up. SO what would be my options here in this situation? Destroy the cell and intervene the swarming process. Or could I take the cell frame out and swarm them my self via the splitting of the hive?

Thank you for the input and the information.

Dale

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
It's a capped queen cell, and it's up high, and you found the queen, so they are superceding. You have the choice to take the queen and a few frames of brood and take them out right now, if you want to protect this queen because you want those genetics, or you want another hive. Or you can destroy the queen cell, if you don't want a split and you're convinced the queen is fine. Or you can let them supercede her. Personally the split seems like the safest route. It leaves you with a spare queen and lets the hive do what they feel they need to do. My second choice is to let them supercede. I'm not fond of destroying the supercedure cells because the bees may know something I don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael,
Thank you for the infomation. Do the bees make a swarm cell differently than they do for the superceedure cells? Would a package swarm so soon? Was just concerned that they were preparing to swarm and half this hive was gonna fly away.

Dale

[This message has been edited by DaleJr (edited June 07, 2003).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.