Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my be a stupid question but here goes, can a fresh capped queen cell be placed in an incubator sticking straight up or does it need to be facing down.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,537 Posts
The larva faces down after spinning its cocoon. If the cell is upside down, the emerging queen would have to chew through a lot of wax to get out and probably would not survive. I put mine in the hair roller cages in the incubator so they face down and there is room for her to get out.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Facing downwards (as in nature) preferred. I have seen some guys place 'em on their sides, but that's unusual. Never upside-down.

There was a very interesting paper published a while back which explained how 'strings' are formed within the Royal Jelly, so that the queen larva stays attached to the jelly, resisting the force of gravity - but they're very weak 'strings', so that's why q/cells need to be handled 'like eggs', else the larva can become disconnected from the jelly and die (before it's spun it's cocoon).
LJ

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Little John; Can you find the study you spoke of above? The reason I ask is because in the 1870s or 80s Elisha Gallup wrote an article in Gleanings in Bee Culture, or the American Bee Journal, in which he described seeing "umbilical cords" attaching the queen to the cell. He was ridiculed badly by readers and other knowledgeable writers of the day. The only support he received was from his old friend G. M. Doolittle. I don't remember seeing any articles written by Dr. Gallup after this time.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Little John; Can you find the study you spoke of above?
It might be the same as the link already given - my browser objects to it (as it does to all the latest high-secure links) - so this might be repetition:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982218302070

The article's header is: "How Honeybees Defy Gravity with Royal Jelly to Raise Queens" - it's done by a kind of polymerisation of a couple of proteins which form 'fibrils' - these attach to the larva and hold it up against the RJ - bit like the 'Tractor Beams' of the Starship Enterprise :)
LJ

"This is beekeeping Jim, but not as we know it."

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,215 Posts
This my be a stupid question but here goes, can a fresh capped queen cell be placed in an incubator sticking straight up or does it need to be facing down.
Greg, I have read in more than 1 place, to leave them head down and do not shake or lay on the side. I have been careful , but do not have any evidence of poor cell handling causing issues. Apparently when soft ,they do not tolerate, shaking and laying on side or upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts