Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was putting in queen cells in nucs this afternoon I dropped a cell. I put it in the nuc anyway. What are the chances that it will hatch and survive?
Kingfisher

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'm a fumbler, I've dropped some of these. Most of the time they seem to produce queens that are just fine. Sometimes queens fail to emerge if the cell was dropped/or not, are too skinney (even after mating), etc. It's hard to say if dropping them has such a critical effect, in all circumstances. I usually discard any dropped cells that get dinged, but if they appear outwardly to be unharmed, I usually try them anyway - sometimes (if I have extras), I will also place a second cell into the mating nuc with the dropped cell (for insurance).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Have seen the commercial Q producer slice off a row of cells in one pass, and let them bounce on the table. They must be pretty tough. Pocket dollars at stake.
Walt

·
Registered
676 Posts
11 days after grafting makes this a 14 day old queen cell. Of course, you know that she emerges on day 16, or so.

With that in mind, the last thing to form is her wings. I find that the wings are pretty much fully formed on day 14. From 14 to emergence, her coloring becomes more defined. With that in mind, she "should" be okay. Unless the tip of the queen cell itself is damaged. I've found that if the tip is crushed in any way, the queen has problems releasing herself, and the bees have no desire or ability to free her either. Provided the tip is still good (don't touch it!), and her wings are developed, you should be fine. 9" inches isn't that far for her to fall.

DS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts