Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you have raised your own queen cells in a cell builder hive and it comes time to place the cells into nucs do you just place one cell per nuc or would you put in a couple to insure grater success? Also when making up the nucs for your cells can you fill the nucs with bulk bees or is it necessary to start them with frames of brood and bees?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always just done splits but I will be using the Nicot or a similiar system next year so I can use my best stock of bees . Seems to me like adding 2-3 extra cells wouldn't hurt if you have them.

For Nucs I prefer to have bees with brood, it will allow the hive to stay strong and if something happens to the queen introduction, I think it will allow you another chance to introduce another one.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
every time I put in more than one queen cell, I end up with no queen, so I only put in one, get a fairly high hatching ration. If you are makeing more than one batch of queens, time it so you have another batch coming to replace those that don't hatch or the queen doesn't make it back.

mike syracuse

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It can be tricky to get queenless bees without combs of brood, honey, and pollen to stay where you put them, even with a sealed queen cell(s). Sometimes the bees still have their own ideas, not always doing as we would like them to.

Chances might be better if you had the resources to create a small colony including combs of open brood, honey, and pollen - with nurse/house bees.

Sometimes when I've had more queen cells ready than places to put them, I've tried putting them together in pairs. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes, like wildbranch2007 said, "you can end up with no queen".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts