Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queen cell in nuc

1656 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  David LaFerney
I picked up 2 nucs on the 26th of April and installed them the same day, both had capped brood. I didn't see the queen on the first one but saw one in the second one nuc. I put top feeders on both and have seen lots of activity the last week. I opened up the first hive today (the one I didn't see a queen in) and there is a queen cell on one of the frames, the second hive is fine, saw the queen again today. I contacted the seller and he said all nucs were inspected and had a laying queen when picked up but sometimes they supercede. He offered me a queen but I can't pick it up until Saturday. Should I go get the queen or wait and see if the cell hatches? I know I will be a few weeks ahead if I go get the queen but it's and hour and half drive round each way to get it but I will do it if it's best.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,064 Posts
I would go and get the queen myself if i were in your shoes. Not only will your NUC be behind but you also loose valuable bees each day due to the fact that they die off. Then there is the possibility of the NUC developing laying workers while queen is being waited on. Not a good deal at all. Spend the time in drive and don't think twice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.