Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a queenless hive that has a good looking (supercedure) queen cell. I live in Central MA - what are the odds that when the queen hatches (in about a week) that she'll find any drones? Am I better off trying to buy a mated queen?

I checked with a knowledgeable beekeeper locally, but want more opinions.

Thanks - Steven

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did a split the 10 th of March. I have eggs now, but we've had some really warm weather. I think you would be fine. You are probably no more than 4 weeks behind my location in weather??????

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in central Iowa and have the same situation. I found one hive queenless and one with a queen cell. I move the frame from the hive that had the queen cell to the hive that was queenless and I hope it works. M

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'll put my money on the bees being smart enough to only build queen cells when drones are out and about.

Or do I give them too much credit?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I have some drone brood in my hives. Not sure about flying drones though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had the same issue in Westfield Ma. I lost my queen mid march. My cells have since hatched but no eggs yet. I haven't found her yet thoug. h . Im thinking of just buying one when I get my 20packages.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If you 2 haven't found queens yet, I picked up a couple of packages and Everett has extra Italian queens. These queens are from Gardner in Georgia... I don't know how they will winter, but you could use them and then requeen later in the summer. I'm going to requeen the packages in July.

Behavin' Apiary
401-88-5172

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts