Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I’m new at bee keeping this will be my second summer
Last year I got two nuc’s that I move to a 10 frame brood box then added a second 10 frame through out the summer they wintered with two 10 frame boxes and a full Super of honey they both made it through the winter and bursting with bees and were using the super as a brood box
I found the queen and moved her to the bottom box and installed a queen excluder in between the super and the brood boxes
Today I found a single queen cell and a bunch of queen cups on one of the hives with nothing in them
I’m not sure of what to do with this cell
I’d like to keep it but I cannot cut it out it’s on a plastic foundation

Thank you all
Marjo

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You can move the frame with a few more frames into a nuc to start another colony. Jut be sure you don't move the existing queen. I often shake into a box with a queen excluder between the bottom box I want them in and the top box I actually shake them in. Then I can find a queen as the others go through the excluder.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When brood is separated from queen then they typically raise new queen. Totally normal. Lack of queen pheromone is the reason. Make use of the cells and start a new nuc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.