Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a queen cell. Problem is, I'm so new to this (just started keeping bees April 22) that I'm not sure what I think I'm seeing is what I'm really seeing.

I checked the bottom of all the frames for cells (as someone here suggested) and most of it was covered in comb but just above the bottom of the from attached to the lower side was a mass of some sort. It didn't look like comb, it was more smooth.

The beekeeping mentor I have can't come by and look at it until next Thursday, should I wait or do something now?

I have a 10 frame deep and only 5 frames are almost fully drawn. I checked all the other frames and there isn't anything similar looking. I didn't spot the queen but I spotted lots of capped brood and larva. One frame is entirely full of honey (both sides).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Sounds like you have a queen and what you are seeing next to the bottom of the frame is probably drone brood, of course i'm just guessing without seeing it. Welcome to beekeeping and good luck. Jack

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pretty sure it isn't drone brood. I know what those look like. Could the bees be getting ready to swarm for any reason. I do have carniolans and we had a long stretch of rain where they weren't able to get out and forage? I'm going to go back and take a picture for better analysis.

If for some reason it is a queen cell, can it wait to be dealt with for a week?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am new to bee's this year also and ran across a similar situation a couple weeks ago. I thought I had queen cell but when I removed the frame it was nothing but brace comb. It's my understanding that first year bee's rarely swarm and sounds like your hives are not congested. It's probably nothing but brace comb. I wouldn't worry too much. I've also been told you can just remove it but they'll probably just build it back. I know that isn't much help and I'm sure you'll get answers from the experienced one's. I'll be watching to see what they say.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
What you could have seen was a queen cup. They are typically smooth as you described until they draw them out then they get the peanut look. Did it look like the one on the left?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We posted at the same time. LOL!

Yes, one looks like a cup just like what you've shown and the other is closed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I didn't look inside. Is that what I was suppose to do :s What am I looking for, an egg?

That one on the other side is closed, is that anything?

And what is a play cup?

You can see we learned not a whole bunch about these queen cells in class. The lesson on this was vague. Basically told if we find them it could mean that the queen is dead or that they are preparing to swarm. Talked about scraping them only if we found the queen alive. That was it that I remember.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, you'd look for an egg, or royal jelly or larva

A queen/supercedure cell that they build in case they need one in the future. If they do need one they'll get the queen to lay in it and then draw it out into the peanut shape. If that's all it is you can remove it but they'll probably jus build another.

Nice looking brood pattern

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
To me that mass looks like a queen cup and a drone cell. Whether to leave it or remove it is up to you. The only time I worry about that kind of stuff is if it rubs the next frame when I try to pull or replace the frame. Then I scrape it off.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
746 Posts
The capped one on the right looks like a drone cell.

The one on the left is a queen cup, these will be found in most all hives, even if they are queen right. They just like to have them handy "just in case".

As for scraping it off, well that is up to you, and even if you did they will just build it right back. More than likely the cell will be empty if you have a good laying queen and the the workers think she is doing a fine job. From the looks of the brood pattern she is doing a fine job.

G3

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a relief to read that no one thinks my bees are going anywhere. I'll leave it in place for now then. Hopefully by next week I'll be able to add the 3rd deep and the bees will still be happy in their home. :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Michelle, from your photo it looks like either drone cell material or a little queen cup- neither of which are anything to worry about and it it not a swarm indication. I've read that bees like to make little queen cups just as a sort of insurance. Actual queen/swarm/supercedure cells look like big long peanuts- see the other photo posted, that long thing on the right.

Don't worry! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
If for some reason it is a queen cell, can it wait to be dealt with for a week?

From your photos I am pretty sure you have the beginnings of a queen cell. If there is a fresh egg in it you have 16days give or take a couple before you have a newly hatched queen. Given that an egg takes approximately 3 days to hatch you should be fine if you waited a week to check on it with your mentor.

On an additional note I live down the road from you in Burnsville and if you ever need help feel free to PM me.

Yuuki

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Omie for the reassurance! I'll watch out for long peanut like things and try not to worry so much. Out of curiosity, are there solid signs of swarming or do the signs vary from hive to hive?

Thanks Yuuki for the offer, I appreciate it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts