Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems raising queens this year. Out of 40 capped cells none have hatched. When I checked the cells that should have hatched, they looked they just stopped developing (still white not brown or black). We are on a flow right and I still gave the cell builder syrup just as a backup. Both the breeder queen and cell builder were from overwintered hives. Any ideas on what is happening?

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
With the cooler weather we are having now, the queens are developing rather slower than
usual. So it is better to leave them in and not disturb them that much until they hatched.
As long as they are still white and not brown they will hatch later on. My personal suspicion had
killed many queen cells by opening them up too early. I would leave them in for a few more days after
their capped date.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cells that I opened were on day 12 after grafting. I wouldn't have thought the temps were cool since we have been in the mid to upper 80s consistently since the graft. I noticed on a bar that had 9 day old grafts last night the bees started chewing the cells.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Having problems raising queens this year. Out of 40 capped cells none have hatched. When I checked the cells that should have hatched, they looked they just stopped developing (still white not brown or black). We are on a flow right and I still gave the cell builder syrup just as a backup. Both the breeder queen and cell builder were from overwintered hives. Any ideas on what is happening?
What stage were these "white" cells in? They should have been mostly developed pupae. If they were still larvae then clearly there are health issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are in the pupae stage and it seems like they never get past it. There are no legs,wings, or eye color on day 12 after grafting. I thought initially it was bqc virus but they are not discolored. Would a drench of fumagillin be worth the effort?

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Doubt that its nosema related. Cells either mature or die. I'd use them if they have a healthy whitish appearance and peak in on them in a few days to see if they hatched.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Doubt that its nosema related. Cells either mature or die. I'd use them if they have a healthy whitish appearance and peak in on them in a few days to see if they hatched.
In my area they are always white in the 11th day and most probably on 12th too. I just use them and they hatch in the end. It's very temperature dependent I think.

How did it work?

I've seen a video from a queen operation where someone prepared the cells for introduction. He looked into the light and gave each cell a light shake? Can anyone explain the reasons? (I suspect it's just to establish the presence of pupae inside the cell - if you feel something shaking inside it's OK)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
They are in the pupae stage and it seems like they never get past it. There are no legs,wings, or eye color on day 12 after grafting. I thought initially it was bqc virus but they are not discolored. Would a drench of fumagillin be worth the effort?
Do you dig up the seeds in your garden to see if they are sprouting?

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
Yes I dig them up and often to see how the seeds/cells are doing.
Too much water they will rot away. Too little water they will not sprout.
Then when the seeds are just about to sprout out of the ground the pill bugs (insects)
came and ate the 2 leaves off leaving only the stem. Sometimes they even ate the entire
stem so I cannot find the sprouting seeds anymore. What I normally do is to dig under the
soil to locate the sprouting seeds. Then relocate the seed to a better location and put a
small plastic cup over the sprouting seed for it to grow shielding out the insects. It is a bit unconventional but
this is how I do it with success so far.
Same thing with the queen cells I will inspect them with a flashlight to see if anything is moving inside
when close to the hatch date. What is the point when installing a dead queen cell into your nuc or planting
the seeds that you expected to grow but are not there anymore? It is the TIME aspect of growing/raising things here!

Sprouting seeds and the pill bug:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts