Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By this time of year I have had swarms. This year I have not seen any. I did not really want them to swarm so this is a good thing. The hives I have checked have eggs in them and I have found queen cell cups but not eggs in the cups or larvae. One hive has enough bees I could split into three hives no problem. In them I found 6 queen cell cups but I did not see any royal jelly. How long after they make new cups, does anyone know, do they start to develop them into active queen cells? I think it depends on the weather and I know I am probably rushing things but I wanted to get someone else opinion. All week I have been going through hives looking for queen cells to make splits and have not seen any which are developed. How long after I enter a hive should I wait to go back and check again? I live in Kentucky and the weather went from a real bad winter to a hot spring all of a sudden. Everything here in Eastern Kentucky seems to be blooming at once. Any advice would be appreciated. I am working on thinking things through. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't know how to answer your questions but I have had the same experience with only one swarm this year (16 hives) which is very unusual for me.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
They build numerous cups and mostly never use them. Cut them off and they'll build them right back again! If no larva in the cells they're probably content and happy and not considering swarming.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If you are looking to make swarm cells in an individual hive you could boost that particular hive with nurse bees from another hive, or crowd them down into a smaller set of boxes. The congestion should help them get going. Adrian.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Seeing queen cell cups, even newly constructed ones does not mean that swarming is imminent. Most colonies have queen cell cups in them all season long for "just in case". One of my hives here at the house, a top bar hive actually, has been booming with brood and bees for weeks now, in fact they occupy 26 out of 30 top bars with bees and still no sign of swarming, just empty cups so far. Our spring has been similar to yours, everything is blooming at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts