Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a package from April in 8 frames med. I looked in on them yesterday and found two queen cells caped and one on the body wall not capped.
Bee would buzz loud when I puffed smoke on them, like when you bump a cage package. Flow is over here for about 4 weeks.
Did not find the Queen, they were a little testy and one got in my veil, got me on the ear and I smelled bananas. Closed up and left without making it through the bottom HB.

Should I let them carry on with their plans to make a Queen or open the brood with some empty frames? Pull the frame with the cell and start a split.

This colony is ok strength wise, drew comb to about 70% in my third med body. Also I will start to fed this week end
Thanks

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Unless you are sure you have a queen and that she is laying you certainly shouldn't destroy the cell. I would say that if you don't see eggs, you should just leave it be. Just my opinion.

If you do find the queen I would consider putting Her in a nuc in a new spot in the same yard, and make no effort to retain any foragers with her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts