Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have queen cells in a queen castle, do you let the bees have access to the outside or are they confined for the duration? What about after the queen has emerged?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sounds like the whole idea is to start a nuc with 3 frames and one with a queen cell.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Medium-Queen-Castle/productinfo/736/

There is ventilation and entrance holes so the bees can enter/exit when they wish. Looks like this is just a starter place to get things off the ground. An emerging queen would likely start laying in available frames. With 3 frames in 2-3 weeks, I wouldn't think that would be enough for expansion. Better keep an eagle's eye on that one.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
MY QC us the one like in "Kelly" book it has 4 2 frame sections and I have put frames with cells on them with the young bees and the made queens and I have just put a frame with fresh eggs and young bees and they raised queens 3 out of 4 last season. I left some till the new lady had laid up most of a frame and by that time the first frame has emerged and the 2 frames are strong enough to put in a 4 frame nuc for the next stage of build up.

1 frame with honey and pollen
1 frane with cells and or eggs

Just antoher fun thing to play with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK, I am missing something. If this castle or nuc is set up with all the right tools such as queen cell(s), bees, food, brood, etc., where do the drones come from to mate with the queen? I hear no mention of this component. Sorry if I am not reading this correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Rick Dial

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The queens dont mate with droans from her hive they mate with droans from other hives, if things go right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts