Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got my bees 2 days ago. Brand new at this. Today I went to check on the bees and make sure the queen was out of the cage. The cage was incased in comb. When I tried to move it to look into it the bees made a bee chain so it would not move. I don’t want to hurt the bees. I am afraid the queen is still in the box. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, what do I do?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This is normal as the bees will cluster around the cage. I always take a steak knife with me when I go to check on a package install as I usually have to cut out the cage. Please do it sooner vs. later, it will make for wonky comb if you don't get it out soon. Also, remember bees are livestock and it is inevitable that you will eventually "hurt" one or two of them in your inspections. Also, did you remove the cork from the candy end of the queen cage when you installed the package?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is normal as the bees will cluster around the cage. I always take a steak knife with me when I go to check on a package install as I usually have to cut out the cage. Please do it sooner vs. later, it will make for wonky comb if you don't get it out soon. Also, remember bees are livestock and it is inevitable that you will eventually "hurt" one or two of them in your inspections. Also, did you remove the cork from the candy end of the queen cage when you installed the package?
I did remove the cork and candy. First thing tomorrow I will cut the cage free. Thanks I’m just nervous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts