Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my first 2 pkgs. of bees. Being the obsessive/compulsive person I am, I double-checked to make sure that I had put everything back in order. When I opened the inner cover on one, I noticed that the queen cage had dropped to the bottom of the hive (we've had a light rain here, today, and the duct tape must have been a little moist.) The cage is laying sideways so she will be able to get out. Should I leave her alone, or go back in and fix the situation? Please help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had placed my first hive last week and afterwards i was double checking myself over and over then it occurred to me that the queen cage might be facing the foundation instead of long ways with the foundation. Sure enough thats what i did. I Fixed it by using 2 nails, one on each side of the tab. I bent the tab over each nail and then wedged the cage between the frame!! I went back 4 days later and she was released. Since then they been working really hard. My next inspection wont be for 2 weeks. Gonna let them be bees! To answer your question, I would fix it soon!! Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah you should fix it --- bees cluster by nature in the highest spot and hang - if the queen is not up there she will freeze - left at 40-50 degrees she can be stund to where she might not lay eggs

i use rubber bands to hold the cage to the frame

1 - 6 of 6 Posts