Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 4 packages 11 days ago. Today I got in and checked the hives. All queens have been released. One hive I did not find the queen but had larvae. I found the queens in the other 3 hives, but I have seen and heard how the other bees move out of the queens way and leave a small open area around her. Two of the hives were doing just that as the queen moved around. However, with the 3rd queen the frame was packed with bees and the queen was running all over the place on top of the other bees and none of them were trying to get out of her way, and she was just running all over the place like she was lost. Is this behavior normal or does it mean anything?

Thanks for the help

Blueline

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you watch her when she is laying you will see the classic behavior of bees in a circle looking at her and moving out of her way when she is checking cells.

When she is running over the comb to hide from a beekeeper that has pulled her frame out into the light, she could be under or on top of a pile of bees. Finding her in a powerful hive is a much bigger challenge later in the year when she is behaving like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I thought the way she was behaving looked like she was just trying to get away from me. But wasn't sure.

Blueline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts