Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

unless my eyes were deceiving me, I saw my marked queen *entering* the hive yesterday. Now I installed this hive more than a month ago, and the hive has been building up with brood, so she wasn't going on a mating run.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before?

thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have seen a queen walking on a landing board, and a queen in a beard on the shady side of a colony. It is not common, but it does happen.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!
Is there any explanation for this kind of behavior? Like do I need to do anything about it? something wrong with the hive??

I have seen a queen walking on a landing board, and a queen in a beard on the shady side of a colony. It is not common, but it does happen.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before?

I saw a queen being balled in a small split and fished her out and recognized her as belonging next door. I searched and found the resident queen. I searched the hive next door and didn't find anything out of the ordinary except that that queen was missing. I put her back in her own hive. She was quite distinctive as she had a smear of paint down her wing.

I saw a marked queen once on the cover that I recognized as belonging in that hive as she was marked and four years old. I searched that hive and could not find any queen in it and put her back in. I checked the next weekend and she was still in that hive laying. Apparently she just did a walk-about. At least she didn't move next door.

I was cleaning out an observation hive that had perished and a queen landed right on the comb I was looking at. I caught her out of the corner of my eye as she was coming in and thought it was a queen and then she landed and it was. I couldn't figure out what to do with her. I caged her and tried to set up a small nuc but she didn't stay. A few days later after the bees ate out the candy she was gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts