Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When banking queens in the jzs bzs queen cages do you put attendants in the cage with them? Also when you put them in the hive is the bar positioned so the cage hangs down or stick up? Ron...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
No need for attendants as the hive bees keep them fed. Most banking systems have a rack that holds multiple cages side by side. I wouldn't think it would matter much whether the sugar tube is up or down or sideways.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I used a grafting frame and drilled holes in cell bars that the JZBZ cage neck would fit into. Spaced so they would set sideways and let them hang down. Put in 5 frame nuc with open brood and nurse bees. No bees in cage except queen. Held some for 2 weeks and they came out ok.

Johnny

·
Registered
760 Posts
It can matter which way the candy pointed. If it gets warm and the candy gets too soft it can run onto the queens. I always point the candy down just in case, though I rarely bank queens. Normally I only do it when I'm holding a couple extra queens just in case those I've introduced don't take and it's at the end of the season when there aren't any more available.

There are plastic bars available made specifically for JZBZ cages that you stick the candy tube into. The are short enough that the bars can fit nicely in a frame.

-Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts