Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how do I sort this one out ????
Hive is 2 deep brood boxes with 2 medium honey supers.
The hive was queenless and gave it a frame of eggs some weeks ago and they made new queen cells.
The queen cells hatched last week and the queen is laying (saw her).
But....we have laying workers in the same hive - eggs laid on side walls, on top of pollen - most I counted was 8 eggs in a cell.
Any advice as what to do would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
As long as there is a laying queen in there, the laying workers should get sorted out. Check back for larvae/capped brood in a week.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It's also common for newly mated queens to lay multiple eggs, not only in a cell but on top of pollen and sometimes on top of uncapped brood. I watched one of ours about 2 weeks ago doing just that. She was machinegunning eggs everywhere. This week she's progressed to laying in empty cells. :scratch:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The queen disappeared so I added 2 frames of lavae / capped brood covered in bees and then a day later a new purchased queen, placing the cgae betwwen these two frames.
The queen appeared to have been released ok, laid for a day and then disappeared'
I gave up with it - merged the hive with another strong one.
In retrospect - it would have been better to merge that hive and use the woodware to start a new hive.
Learning everyday....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts