Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a full 2 brood boxes and put a honey super on with an excluder but the bees would not move up so I took out the excluder. Once they started moving up I checked ever frame for the queen and couldn't find her so I put the excluder back on.

Fast forward through a good blackberry flow and I did some checking of the 2 honey boxes and found that there was a little brood in some of the frames. Not lots but some with various ages of brood. I started checking deeper and I have 2 full brood boxes of capped honey and 2 boxes in the honey supers with a little brood and the rest is capped honey.

I took the excluder out and added a new box for her to lay. Will this hive be ok with such little amount of brood?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You may have 2 queens but they'll sort it out. If there were eggs above the excluder and the queen below the excluder they'll make a queen out of the upper eggs. She'll get mated if you have an upper entrance. They'll both be laying in thier respective portions of the hive. I found this out the hard way but now use it to raise my grafted queens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts