Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After foundation is drawn out is there any distinguishable difference between spur-embedded wire or DC-source hot wire embedding?

As a hobbyist, I believe that I can be satisfied using a wax tube fastener and or a spur embedder.

I have some medium frames with starter-strips that I wish I had wired...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wouldn't think so Bee. grab a 9 volt battery and hook it to the wire and see...LOL. Just don't test it on the tongue....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have some medium frames with starter-strips that I wish I had wired...
Are you saying that you wish you would have run wires under the starter strip even where there was no foundation or just thru the starter strip?

I'm toying with the idea of starting 4 hives next year, two with starter strips and two with full small cell foundation. I was thinking the ones with starter strip wouldn't need any wires, is that incorrect?

~Matt

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you saying that you wish you would have run wires under the starter strip even where there was no foundation or just thru the starter strip?

~Matt
Where there is no foundation...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am into the building stage and will start my first hives next spring, and reading these posts I have questions about wiring.....I see these 1 lb spools of wire that have 1400 ft, and wonder about how many frames I can wire with this much wire.....also question ?? what do you mean when you say "starter strips"....I'm new into this here, so be gentle. I've been able to buy an electric embedder, and even though I haven't wired a single frame yet, I've put several together using a home made jig (does 10)...and am just feeling my way along.\thanks, dixie

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
18 in x2 if you double the wire(using both slots....

Rough math...38 frames

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
you figure if you loop it through 2 times at about 18 inches each....am i missing something. I havent wired any ever, but by measurments thats what i would think....

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2*18 plus the ends and whatever is used to attach the wire.

For the frame in front of me I used 40" plus the inch or two to finish = approx 42" or 3.5ft (for me with mediums)

1400ft/3.5=400 medium frames

Starter strip: is a narrow piece of foundation of about 1" width that is used as a guide for the bees to draw out their own comb.

Devdog, you took the 1400 as inches...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
:doh:ROFL....i did it in inches, and forgot the conversion to feet. OK so I am going to go get purposly stung now...Sorry

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks for the replys.....I like the 400 plus frames answer. what is the purpose of the starter strips.....is this for queen rearing ?...or do the bees just start at the top where I am assuming the starter strip is, and fill out underneath it with comb ?......is there an advantage of this over full frame foundation ?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the bees just start at the top where the starter strip is, and fill out underneath it with comb.

You save $ on foundation, and the bees build what they want.

Do some searches and read about it.

Some go foundationless...

Another search topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts