Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are not positive where they queen is located when the excluder is put on the hive. Last time I was in the hive 3/27 I decided to add some boxes and an excluder.

2 bottom boxes on the bottom High/shallow were full of bees and brood. Didn't see the queen but knew she had to be there. Put the Q excluder on and added another high and shallow. The shallow had been on there at the top to begin with and had a lot of honey put in by the bees. Knew this would bring the bees up through the excluder. Also put a CD case that I drilled 2 holes on each side and filled with DE for a SHB trap on top of the shallow.

Well today I wanted to see how the trap was doing. I knew the bees were really running heavy. Opened up the top and took a look. The girls had proprolized the holes shut. Kept them busy but didn't help the cause.

Okay, I'll look further to see what's going on since I am here and made the changes and added the Q excluder. When I pulled out the 3 frame I knew something was wrong and I was probably in trouble. Brood!!!! :eek:

Didn' see the Q on the 27th nor did I see her today but there was evidence she had been there! Now I have to go through the whole hive to see what's going on. Medium below QE was full of brood.....older capped brood......no larva, no eggs. Went to the bottom box (brood box) and there were frames of brood.........older capped brood....no larva, no eggs!! :eek:

Now that's only part of the story. I mentioned the medium below the QE was full of brood and it was....workers, drones................and 9 swarm cells. I say swarm because all of them were on the bottom of the frames. 1 of them was almost hid because it was surrounded by capped drone cells.

There is more to the story, but I gotta go! Wife is hollaring at me 'cause I haven't finished making the catfish stew for this weekend and she wants the fridge space. Having some of her family over Saturday.

Anyway, if you don't see the Q and you are going to put on a QE, think like you are holding a gun. 1st rule in gun safety, all guns are loaded until you don't see any ammo.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
No worries. If i may bee so bold, put a QE between all boxes, with a setback entrance for each, Come back in 3 days. The queen is in the box with the eggs. Now you can make some decisions.

Roland

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that makes sense. Will have to buy a couple more excluders to do it. But that does take out all of the guess work. Could have a few queen cells to boot if there are eggs in mulitiple boxes. Will not forget this suggestion.

You may bee so bold any time you want!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's to much work! Remove the excluder, bee-go the bees down 1 box at a time until you get the supers off, put excluder back on, recheck the super frames before you put the supers back on. Now you will have to look through a few hundred bees and not 1,000's. After that is done you better do some swarm control.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another good method. I like both. But I also like the option of finding the queen and getting queen cells too! I can see me using both options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't get it. :scratch: Always shake your bees into the lower boxes before putting on an excluder. We do this all day long for our splits. It's quick and no guessing is involved.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Once the queen is below the excluder you can pull frames of brood(not the same day you bee-go them down)with swarm cells. Shake the bees off them into the hive. Place them in a hive body and place that above the excluder. The bees will go through the excluder onto your split brood. The next day pull the split box off and move to a new location. No need to find the queen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts