Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we had a day of unseasonably warm weather in Central MA, and there were a few bees flying around, presumably doing some cleansing flights. When it's warm enough for this, does it mean the bees are no longer clustered (at all, or as tight)?

The reason I ask is that I would assume the bees would move around in the box to get at honey stores that they might not have been able to reach if they are tightly clustered due to the cold.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks - Steven

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had some bees flying today as well since the high temp was in the 40's. Bees will break cluster on such days and will even forage if anything is in bloom. I have some dandelions blooming now and saw a few bees working them today. They will re-cluster in the late afternoon when the temps start dropping again. A warm day or two during winter is good for the bees as it allows them to take a cleansing flight and they can move to new frames with stores if need be. A long, extended warm period during winter can be harmful as it means the bees will consume more of the stores and run the risk of starving in February or March.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts