Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a problem with one of my two hives. Last Saturday I made a full inspection and it looks like the queen is gone from one hive. There are no signs of mites, the hive looks healthy, but the queen is gone. No eggs, very few capped worker cells 3-5, and very few open brood cells.

So, I gave them a frame of eggs and young larva last Saturday, in hopes that they make queen cells. I was planning to split the hive and let them develop during May and June.
Well, today I looked for qcells and found none on the brood frame that I gave them.
However, there were some eggs in the drone frame, some of the eggs were positioned not in the middle of the cells. No multiple eggs in one cell, but I think this is a laying worker case. And to my surprise there was one qcell with big larva and a lot of royal jelly inside -- but on the drone frame???

I gave them another frame of eggs today, If by this Saturday they start q-cells there is some hope. But if they don't -- is there any way to save this hive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
My bet is you have a newly mated queen that has just started laying. The old queen swarmed some weeks ago, hence the lack of brood. Give it another frame of brood if you want to be sure, but no queen cells likely indicates either a virgin or newly mated queen. In two more weeks, I bet you have a nice looking hive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ross,

There is no way they could have swarmed. We just came out of winter temps 2 weeks ago. But I sure hope you are right about new virgin queen, drones are flying already.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts