Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about swarm traps, and I read that the ideal volume that scout bees look for is 40 L. That is larger than a standard 5-frame deep-frame Nuc.

Do people use nucs for swarm traps successfully? If not, do you build in essence a wider nuc?

-- Steven

·
Registered
869 Posts
Kbee, care to share some secrets? :) Bait? Placement? etc? I was thinking about putting some LGO on an empty frame, putting it back in a wall that I took a 2 day old swarm out of last year and putting the panel back up on the wall to see if a new swarm might happen to find the place, but not sure if it will work.

Craig

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I use five frames nuc boxes for swarm traps all the time. I try get them as high up as possible. The swarm traps do better at 10 feet up or higher. I put them on sheds, lean-to type roofs, etc. I also put 2 or three drops of lemongrass oil on a q-tip end and drop one in each nuc or homemade swarm trap.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would put them where it's convenient for you. Jeffzhear is right about the height, about 10-15 feet. I try to use deer hunting stands when I can, although I have had them as low as 5 feet and still had acceptance. LGO really helps, 2-3 drops on the frames lasts a good month. I screw the top and bottom down to make it solid. It's important to have a tight top. I don't think the bees like a box with light leaks at the top. Also a box screwed together makes it easier to get it down and transported.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I also use 5frame nucs as swarms traps, I think as of this week we have 8-10 out. We use the phermone lures from Dadant plus q-tips soaked in LG oil. We DO NOT use a frame of drawn comb, however I am not discouraging this practice at all. We put five wired frames each with a wedge and let the swarm fill the frames (foundationless). When we catch a swarm we move that box to the beeyard and replace it with a new 5frame nuc. As the swarm builds we bump them to an 8frame hive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I always had a nuc for a swarm trap growing up. Used comb has plenty of pheremone. I got 25 hives without ever buying a single one. Sure there are a bunch of splits in the 25 hives. They were probably my swarms anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a question, which is going off topic a bit. I was setting up a Nuc for a swarm trap with pheromone from dadant and I was wondering if yellow jackets are attracted to the pheromone also?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
CV, I use the phermones, never seen them drawn to this bait down here in FL. That being said I know you guys farther north have a bigger issue with them than we do down here.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
40L is a pretty good sized cavity. I've heard scout bees try to find a cavity about 9 L, which is about the size of a single deep.

As a general rule of thumb, a 5 frame nuc will have 50% of the success of a single deep as a swarm trap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good question, I'm new to beekeeping and been doing a lot of research on swarms lately. At the end of last year I made 5 and 6 frame nucs from plywood and was intending to use them for baited traps this year... I'm also thinking on using large boxes. Do you guys have success using boxes? Again, good question, im glad it was verified that 5 frame nucs do work!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. Ironically I've had poor luck with 5 frame nuc boxes as swarm traps. I put every swarm I catch in them but as a bait hive I have poor luck. Be sure to put a frame of open brood in there when capturing a swarm to ensure they don't leave. But this is a difference between capturing a trapping. I'm going to "retired" 10 frame deeps as traps this year to see if I have better luck. Studies have shown 8-deep frames to be the most effective when making a bait hive but I don't have that size of equipment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good point. And thanks, I can't say how much i love this site enough! I'm definitely going for trapping i.e. baited with LGO... I also got some Swarm Commander this year and going to give that a shot. I should have mentioned the large boxes i'm making for traps being card board. Lol. I been hearing a lot of mixed things about the 5 frame nucs working as traps and people switching to something bigger.

I been thinking about doing that with a 10 frame deep as well, but I'm mostly worried about someone walking away with it. I only know of 3 places where to set up where I seen a swarm and or a high volume of bees.

Ive seen these traps last year that look like they are made out of card board plant holders or something. I was hoping a regular box would work, just add some old comb and LGO? But haven't heard anyone really trying or using it. Would it work? Would a wax cardboard box work for a bait trap?

Thanks for the quick response, you guys rock!

·
Registered
364 Posts
This year I'm trying some 5 over 5 deep nucs, with frames in the top box only (1 brood comb, 2-1/2 sheets of foundation, and 2 full sheets of foundation), as traps. Somebody on here mentioned they do something like that.. and I like the concept: Ideal volume, less frames in the box, giving the illusion of a bigger cavity to the scouts, less frames tied up in your traps. I figure I can gather them up before they build comb outside of the five frames..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very awesome larryh! I seen something like that mentioned and was looking all over for a clear explaination. Thank you for clarifying how that works! I'm definitely going to incorporate that into my arsenal of options.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This year I'm trying some 5 over 5 deep nucs, with frames in the top box only

I plan to put out some 5 over 5 nucs for traps with some LGO for bait. I like the idea of leaving the bottom empty and frames up top. May try that and see what happens. My first year of trappin

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very awesome larryh! I seen something like that mentioned and was looking all over for a clear explaination. Thank you for clarifying how that works! I'm definitely going to incorporate that into my arsenal of options.
Not my idea, I ripped it off the from some body else here..just can't recall who, or what thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts