Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added a second hive body to my new 22 day old colony because they had drawn comb on all 8 frames and they had brood on most of them. I pulled only one frame of brood to pyramid up into the empty box (mainly as a ladder because my frames are foundationless) and I pulled from the middle. I’ve since read that I should have pulled 2 or 3 frames to pyramid up and only if there are enough nurse bees to cover the frames. It went down to 38 degrees that night (the days are warm though). Did I kill those bees or make them work lots of overtime warming that frame? I didn’t know if I had enough nurse bees. I did this 2 days ago. Should I go back into the hive and pull up 1-2 more brood frames to add to the one? Or leave it the way it is?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have done the same thing and then had second thoughts. But if it was a mistake it is probably too late so I would leave it as is. In my case, there must have been enough bees because the brood came through fine and the bees drew out the frame I put down below FAST.

But hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will give you an answer. If I were you I wouldn't listen to me. :lpf:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I try to take at least two. If the weather still gets cold occasionally, I would keep the bottom ones together and put the empty ones on the outsides...

It depends on how many bees they had what they did...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael, I have tomorrow off and it's suppose to be sunny and 75. Should I pull 1 or 2 more up?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
But if it was a mistake it is probably too late so I would leave it as is.

But hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will give you an answer. If I were you I wouldn't listen to me. :lpf:
Leave it, LeAve It, LEAVe It,,Step away from the box!!! :D The damage or advantage has been done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts