Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
another good video dan!

(the groaning adds realism) :)

i also use 5 over 5 nuc boxes leaving most of the room empty, have them facing southerly, and use lemongrass oil on a q-tip. i use queen juice (pinched queens soaking in alcohol) on the other side of the q-tip.

i've got to get mine out soon, thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks Dan, good stuff. Clearly, I've been using too many frames in my traps. Gonna be a tough sell convincing my wife we need a tree house but I'll give it my best shot. :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Good Stuff Dan! I never thought about double nuc boxes. I will try that this year since I have plenty of spares.

PS. I'm watching this with 2" of fresh snow and slop on the ground.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a small beeyard on the property of a hunting lodge. As it is no longer hunting season, I asked the owner if I could put traps on their permanent deer stands. I’m sure I’ll do a video when I place those.
I expect that will include some serious groaning....those things are pretty tall. :)

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS. I'm watching this with 2" of fresh snow and slop on the ground.
I don't envy you...today.
On the other hand when we hit our dearth and you guys are in the middle of your flow....different story. :)

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great video. It just so happens I have an unfinished tree house in my bee(back)yard. I'll probably put one up this weekend!
Thanks.
I can't tell where you are located but here swarm season is upon us.
PS you may want to go into your Beesource set up and enter a location. It helps when people reply to have an idea where you are.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
You might try setting a few traps down on ground level to see if you don't catch just as many. I catch lots about 18" -30" of the ground. It would save you a lot of ladder climbing and groaning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks.
I can't tell where you are located but here swarm season is upon us.
PS you may want to go into your Beesource set up and enter a location. It helps when people reply to have an idea where you are.
I'll definitely update my profile but I'm in Dallas GA NW of Atlanta. I've got a hive body in my treehouse now that's getting quite a bit of attention. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might try setting a few traps down on ground level to see if you don't catch just as many. I catch lots about 18" -30" of the ground. It would save you a lot of ladder climbing and groaning.
Actually I do. I have only caught one swarm in them in the past three years.
15 feet above them....different story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts