Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Does anyone ever put new supers on the bottom of the supers or do you just keep adding to the top?
I just read on this forum that you should put the newer super under the ones they are filling....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why lift them twice. They will fill them with the the new one on the top.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I asked the same question earlier in the year and the consensus is that most people put new supers on top, for convenience if nothing else. I need to add some supers tomorrow and I'm going to put them under the full/filling supers, just to see if the bees will start using them faster and draw the comb quicker. I need some drawn comb and time is ticking.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have done it both ways and my experience with it has been if they are working a super they will pretty much finish the one they are on before they go to another super. Whether above or below. I have had um walk through a super on foundation to get to the super they are working. Drawn comb is different they will fill it regardless where you put above the brood area. Just put a frame or two that they are working in the middle of the foundation.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Doesn't matter where you put drawn comb, and they will tend to ignore foundation until all the drawn comb is full. Definitely put a couple drawn and capped frames in a new box of foundation, that usually helps them get interested in drawing it out. Otherwise they may just walk right over it for weeks, or just chew it full of holes.

With a booming hive and a strong flow they will draw it out pretty fast, but not as fast as they fill drawn comb. Guard that stuff!

Peter

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
All I have left is about four or five ratty old deep frames I have in the freezer I was planning to use for swarm traps.

I put all the drawn shallow and medium comb I had on the monster hive, and it's almost full.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts