Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need some advice on this ...

Last year we started our first ever beehive. We ordered 3lbs. of bees and everything seemed to go fairwell. The bees filled 2 deeps, started on the first honey super and got it about 1/2 way drawn out. Then the worst winter in the last 20 years hit ...

Our bees must have froze to death as they were all dead and nearly half the honey in the deeps are left.
(There are 2 pics of the frames here
http://www.jayjaynet.com/jayjay/images/2014Bees1.jpg
http://www.jayjaynet.com/jayjay/images/2014Bees2.jpg
in case there is something wrong with them that someone can see as I am unsure.)

Assuming there is nothing wrong, when we get our new 3lbs of bees in in May, do we add them to just 1 deep with empty frames, or full frames, or half of fullframes and half of empty frames? OR, do we add them to both deeps with the frames as they are: 1/2 filled and 1/2 not?

In the meantime, are we OK keeping the frames with honey just in the garage as they are sealed well and not leaking?

And since the frames in the deeps are pretty much all drawn out, when we do know to put on the 1st honey super for them now?

Thank you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What I would do....(place that phrase in front of all the comments on this page, everyone does things a bit differently). Assuming there are no diseases in the hive that killed the bees I would drop them down into the single bottom hive body and close them up. Unless your bees were limiting space for the queen to lay all those drawn frames will make a lot of happy bees. If there are any "bad" frames move them out or around. The honey in there will help keep them moving along and give you a reason not to feed. Keep an eye on them since they don't need to take the time to draw comb. The second box will probably be added much sooner this year then last(assuming us cheeseheads get weather that cooperates with bee activity)! 7-9 "worked" frames, add the next box. Worked frames to me is either capped or filled for the most part. juzzer

**where do you get your bees from?**

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I would do....(place that phrase in front of all the comments on this page, everyone does things a bit differently). Assuming there are no diseases in the hive that killed the bees I would drop them down into the single bottom hive body and close them up. Unless your bees were limiting space for the queen to lay all those drawn frames will make a lot of happy bees. If there are any "bad" frames move them out or around. The honey in there will help keep them moving along and give you a reason not to feed. Keep an eye on them since they don't need to take the time to draw comb. The second box will probably be added much sooner this year then last(assuming us cheeseheads get weather that cooperates with bee activity)! 7-9 "worked" frames, add the next box. Worked frames to me is either capped or filled for the most part. juzzer

**where do you get your bees from?**
When you say 7-9 worked frames, is that for the 1st box or only the 2nd?

The bees are coming (again) from Georgia ... H & R Apiares

We bought our hives and equipment at Honey Glow Farms up near Owen. Very friendly and helpful people there with some 1400 hives of their own.

·
Registered
520 Posts
7-9 frames worked of 1st box, on goes the next. 7-9 frames worked of the 2nd, on goes the 3rd. Some may say that waiting until the 9th frame is cutting it close but last year I put mine on too early and they didn't draw out like I would have wanted.
It's handy to have a supplier near by isn't it.....unfortunately Dadant is only a mile from my hives.... that encourages me to spend money, but it sure is convenient!!!juzzer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I would set up a single deep with frames of honey to the outside, then honey and pollen then drawn empty frames. In about 3 weeks put on the second box. This will be about the time the first batch of brood is hatching and give the hive more workers to cover the extra frames and keep pests out(wax moths, small hive beatles). It will also be about the time the queen will start to run out of space. She could run out faster if you have a good flow or a productive queen so you will have to watch to make sure there is still space and put on the second box faster if needed. Then once the 2nd box is 3/4 full start adding supers.

The bottom box would be H, H/P, E, E, E, E, E, E, H/P, H (H= Frame of Honey, H/P= frame with honey and pollen, E= empty drawn comb)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone, brand new here. Started our first hive last year

I'm glad I came across this post. we are doing the same thing for the same reason. We got our bees (Italian) on the 11th and set up last year's supper and drawn comb frames the same way Noah's Ark explained except we used an internal feeder box. We opened the hive about a week later and everything looked good. Filled the feeder and saw cells filled with uncapped nectar and pollen and a good look at the queen.

Last Tuesday the 29th, again opened the hive took out the internal feeder and replaced it with a top feeder. I wound up pulling every frame to get a quick look at what I thought was the queen. If it was the queen she's fast when at the edge of the frame... What concerns me is I saw no eggs, Larvae, or capped brood, and I looked with a magnifying glass. Lots of normal activity and the comb looked the same as it did the last time. Bees coming and going with pollen on their legs. After 18 days shouldn't there be evidence of something happening on the reproductive side? :scratch:

Just went over to the hive this afternoon to observe and think. I did not open the hive but noticed some strange activity on the landing. I had just read an article on raiders and to my untrained eye, It looked like all the signs. Many bees "hovering in a zig zag pattern like a wasp", Bees that looked like they were searching for a way in, Bees leaving and just flying off like normal, but also bees climbing the outside of the hive and leaping off. And at times on the landing it looked like the WWF on a Friday night. I closed down the entrance to about 1 inch using grass. We'll see what happens. I hope it's not raiders... cause I'm a life long Packers fan... :applause:

My main concern is the no eggs, larvae or capped brood cells. Suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
opened the hive this afternoon. saw eggs, and lots of larvae, but no capped brood in the center 3 frames. did not see the queen but then I stopped looking when I spotted the eggs and Larvae. whew that's a relief.
didn't mean to hi-jack this post, just thought since we both have questions about using a dead hive's frames and pulled comb, we may have similar problems and successes. Go Pack!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts