Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Does anyone here place their bees at a hotel or other "non-agricultural" location? Just wondering and exploring for myself.

-Austin

·
Registered
676 Posts
Perhaps the real question is; what is there available for forage? If the bees are in high car traffic areas that also might be an issue. I have considered putting a hive or 2 at my warehouse in the city. There is a railway green strip right next to it as well as a creek bottom within a 3rd mile. Lots of trees. They would be on the ground at the rear of the warehouse so out of harms way and vehicle traffic. The only consideration would be the billboard sign about 30 ft. away given that the sign will be changed every so often and I can't guarantee that the bees will be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps the real question is; what is there available for forage? If the bees are in high car traffic areas that also might be an issue. I have considered putting a hive or 2 at my warehouse in the city. There is a railway green strip right next to it as well as a creek bottom within a 3rd mile. Lots of trees. They would be on the ground at the rear of the warehouse so out of harms way and vehicle traffic. The only consideration would be the billboard sign about 30 ft. away given that the sign will be changed every so often and I can't guarantee that the bees will be nice.
Kind of wondering for chefs or restaurant owners or even with hotels if this is some attraction they can use to build value or charge more. For instance, hotels can host lessons or training. Restaurants can use forage and honey in their food....all while being able to claim sustainability.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
not my thing, but its done
https://www.brownpalace.com/our-hotel/honey-bees/

all while being able to claim sustainability
yep, and there is a whole green washing business along these lines as well
https://bestbees.com/corporate-beekeeping-services/ charges $1600+ a year to place a hive at your business to make you look good.

great model... Ship in the hive boxs in and then pay some local beekeeper a few dollars to pick up the package and install, and to make a monthly visit and then to give the client ONE jar of honey they get out of the deal....

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Concur with Jonsl,
only take 1 person who is bad allergic, and you may be in litigation for a dead person, weather your bees did the sting or a yello Jacket.

Sometime the bees are pissy as well on top of a restaurant could be too close to patrons.

I would not go there if it was me. Lots of places out there,, good idea , but try a new one IMO.

GG

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
A year or so ago I saw a video of a hotel that had around six hives on its roof and paid a beekeeper to tend them. The honey those hives produced was sold in the hotel's giftshop.

As far as non-agricultural areas, I have one hive in the industrial park where I work. They forage on the flowering plants and trees that are used as landscaping by the neighboring businesses and apartment complexes. This is my favorite swarm trapping location and is good for two or more swarms each year.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I know of a hotel in Westminster (Colorado) that had beehives on their roof in cooperation with a local organization. I don't know if they still do, but at the time I think they were using some of the honey from the hives on their roof in mixed drinks at their bar. The roof was 10+ stories up, so I suspect by the time the bees fly down they are well away from the hotel and do not bother the guests much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts